05 August 2010

Epic Fail


I have this raving desire and urge to talk about "failure" and all of its intricacies but descriptions are turning elusive. What do I really now about IT? For one, I only know it's such a pain in the ass. It drags you down to the pits. And it leaves you gasping for some air.

It leaves a hole in you. And filling up that hole ain't that easy. You don't even know how or where to start patching it. So for a while, you will be nurturing the dark emotion. Until you can take it no longer.

But according to JK Rowling, "Ultimately, we all have to decide for ourselves what constitutes failure, but the world is quite eager to give you a set of criteria if you let it."

If only it's that easy and simple to decipher whose criteria you are religiously following..

Because, I used to think I'm doing okay. Doing better even. And I used not to care about other people's success stories. Until now..

And I can't quite put my fingers on the reasons behind. Why now? And how?

I also used to tell friends that success is relative. And now I'm starting to doubt my own words. Is it really?

Because reality is, you'll come across conversations and pictures of your peers. And you'll realize how far they are from you. And without any slightest tinge of hypocrisy, you feel insecure. Even envy.

Does that immediately make you a bad/worse person? Who's gonna cast the first stone?

I am not advocating for nursing dark and empty and negative emotion such as this. This is reality. A real human experience.

You feel bad about something. You feel you're an epic fail. You feel insecure and envious. And you feel hollow and empty.

Do not deny yourself any of these emotions and experiences (unless of course, you're making an android of yourself)

Because if we go back to the subject of success. Won't this thing be at its sweetest if you've come face to face with failure (or lots of it) first?